Jexs

Changes coming to Moose on April 1st

Dear Moosers,

We have wanted to change some of our rules around for a long time now, and we are finally in a place that we can do just that. So I'll try to keep this short and avoid one of the famous novels that I seem to enjoy writing so much. 

Please note that changes #2 & #3 will not take affect until April 1st.

1. Changes to Moose server wipe times.

From here on out we will be wiping all of our weekly and bi-weekly servers at 5 pm EST/4 pm CST/10 pm UTC on their scheduled wipe dates. This will not affect forced wipes for which we will always wipe at the time of the update.

2. Updating our VAC/Game ban rules.

We have been mostly torn over changing this rule because on one side, it is no secret that many cheaters with a VAC ban have no problem cheating again and many are repeat offenders. However, on the other side, does it really take a year for someone to learn a lesson when they cheated and know they messed up? We know there are many players out there that have messed up in the past and want to play legit after being caught and banned.

Keeping that in mind, we have decided to make the following changes to our VAC/Game Ban policies starting on April 1st, 2019:

• If you have 1 VAC/Game ban (across all accounts), it must be over 180 days (6 months) old. 
  • If you have 2 VAC/Game bans (across all accounts), the most recent must be over 560 days (18 months) old. 
  • If you have more than 2 VAC/Game bans you will be banned without exception. 

These changes are meant to be more inclusive for some of the players that have made mistakes and actually learned something and grew up a little. Additionally, it has a little forgiveness for the people that cheated multiple times but haven't done so in a long time. I don't think it's fair to cut them off forever, but this way it's at least quite awhile.

3. Updating our language filter and racism rules.

While we still certainly don't condone a bunch of 13-17 year olds running around dropping hard-R's and drawing gallows or swastikas, we do think we were a little harsh on some of you edge lords. With that in mind we have decided to make the following changes to our language filter and racism rules starting on April 1st, 2019:

• We will now mute for racism triggers in chat rather than ban.
    • Most mutes will last for 1 hour and will affect voice and chat. 
  • Bypassing the filter intentionally will result in either a permanent mute or a timed ban (probably a week, but up to the banning admin). 

Our original intention wasn't to kick players off our servers but rather try to break the bad habit that you kiddos have. I get that it's a game and we're all here to have fun, but let's do it with a bit less edginess. With these changes, dropping an accidental naughty word won't mean the end of your wipe. Instead, you just won't be able to spam your #CONTROLLINGMOOSE messages in chat for a short while. 

I think all 3 of these changes will help Moose be more inclusive for all sort of different players without compromising our morality and while still keeping our server secure and hacker-free. We'd love to hear any feedback from you guys, so feel free to leave a reply to this and we'll check out any comments, questions, or concerns.

As always, we'll see you on the island.

TL;DR

• Wipes are now at 5 pm EST instead of 4 pm EST. 
  • VACs are now minimum of 180 days instead of 365. 
  • 2 VACs are allowed with limitations (read limitations above).
  • Language filter now mutes for 1 hour instead of progressively banning.
  • Filter and ban changes take affect April 1st. Wipe changes are immediate.
  • Like 1

TWO Vac ban allowed? Have you ANY idea how large the list of scum and villainy you will be unleashing upon the moose servers? 

We're DOOMED!

:wookiee_dance:

About god damn time Tyrone muted me for 2 months for saying “Its morning my n words” n word = nincompoop

So from what I'm reading you won't be banning people at all for being racist, just perma muting at the worst case scenario. I know rustymoose pop has taken a hit lately, but would you really prefer to regain pop due to letting in more people who have been caught cheating or spewing hate. The vac ban shit doesn't bother me near as much as the racism ruling change. If these muted people start spamming it in voice instead of chat( at later date I mean, as they will be muted in both when it occurs) will there be repercussion? Feels like the servers might become a fair bit less youtube / stream friendly. Always open to dialog, not just bashing you guys. Always respected for your racism rules, so I'd hate for that to change. Thanks. 

I think all 3 of these changes will help Moose be more inclusive for all sort of different players without compromising our morality and while still keeping our server secure and hacker-free.

Talking about being inclusive right after reducing the severity of punishment towards blatant racism LOL. Walked right into that one!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Navy said:

About god damn time Tyrone muted me for 2 months for saying “Its morning my n words” n word = nincompoop

missed u 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kronk said:

So from what I'm reading you won't be banning people at all for being racist, just perma muting at the worst case scenario. I know rustymoose pop has taken a hit lately, but would you really prefer to regain pop due to letting in more people who have been caught cheating or spewing hate. The vac ban shit doesn't bother me near as much as the racism ruling change. If these muted people start spamming it in voice instead of chat( at later date I mean, as they will be muted in both when it occurs) will there be repercussion? Feels like the servers might become a fair bit less youtube / stream friendly. Always open to dialog, not just bashing you guys. Always respected for your racism rules, so I'd hate for that to change. Thanks. 

Talking about being inclusive right after reducing the severity of punishment towards blatant racism LOL. Walked right into that one!

I don't think we've taken a hit in pop at all. I guess someone could make that assumption based off of main from the last two months, but that is just the natural flow of players every few months. The large groups/zergs will stay here for a month or 2 and then move to Fied or Topia and then back. It's an endless cycle and it's a big ecosystem. Regardless of where they are the last few months, we still hit queues of 60+ on wipe night and that is great considering we have 3 weekly wipe servers totaling over 675 slots. My point is that while I do agree the queue for main isn't quite as big as it is some months, that certainly wasn't a factor in this change. 

As I said in the post, we do not condone racism and we're not welcoming it on our servers. Before a few months ago all we had in place was a simple server kick (with no further repercussions) when someone used a racial slur. It was only on the repeat offenders and when it was reported that we would take further action. Additionally, the filter was horrible and barely caught anything. I was finally fed up with how bad it was getting so a few months ago I set out to make a new system for us that would be a bit more harsh on repeat offenders. We started kicking for the first offense, banning for an hour, then banning for multiple days at a time. This method was extremely effective and cut down the racial slurs in our servers but it also had the effect of ruining player's wipes because they slipped up and let something slip in chat - usually out of anger from being killed, etc. Again, I'm not condoning it, but I do think that is pretty harsh when so much of the community has brainwashed them into thinking that this language is okay. I think a good compromise for this is simply muting them in game. It removes their ability to use VoIP or in-game chat and is logged for us to see repeat offenders. 

As for racism in VoIP, it is a very hard thing to monitor. Especially with 1500 total slots on our servers. We have to rely on reports for these. If we get a report with a clip attached that has sure proof of racism in VoIP, we are more than happy to perma-mute them, or ban them if we deem necessary. So nothing really changes as far as that goes.

Lastly, as for the content creators, which I know you spend a lot of time with, I feel like 90% of them have chat off at all times anyways (which I think they should to help protect themselves against this as well as snipers) so I don't see it as that big of a deal. Nothing will really change. They are still punished and prevented from doing it again. Just in a different way this go around.

If you read through this whole thing, then thank you lol. I do appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion though. It helps us gauge where different parts of the community are at and make adjustments accordingly. 

Edited by Jexs
  • Like 1

Don't care what you do with your free speech since I learned as a kid that words don't hurt but I assume this is for the snowflake generation who gets triggered quickly. 

In regards to cheaters, the punishment should be perma ban without forgiveness.  These people Ruin games and whether they learn that in Rust or whatever other game it should be punished harshly the first time.  I prefer to not always be looking over my shoulder each time I die wondering if I have once again been downed by someone with some various hack and prefer to say gg without doubt.  Once a cheater always a cheater!  The lesson is you have to buy a new account and not that I get to come back after any given amount of time.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:30 AM, FanciestUnicorn said:

Don't care what you do with your free speech since I learned as a kid that words don't hurt but I assume this is for the snowflake generation who gets triggered quickly. 

In regards to cheaters, the punishment should be perma ban without forgiveness.  These people Ruin games and whether they learn that in Rust or whatever other game it should be punished harshly the first time.  I prefer to not always be looking over my shoulder each time I die wondering if I have once again been downed by someone with some various hack and prefer to say gg without doubt.  Once a cheater always a cheater!  The lesson is you have to buy a new account and not that I get to come back after any given amount of time.

In theory I agree with his principles that I do not care about the use of language, and I wouldn't mind less serious punishment for people who blurt out say, as a curse when they are upset they are killed. HOWEVER my problem with people's racism stems from being black in game, and it feels REALLY bad when people hunt you down roleplaying as a bad person. For example as a being hunted down by people when you haven't even set up a base and they have full kits while they speak about white supremacy kind of grinds my gears, you know? I do feel that repeated hate preachers should be perma banned from the server.  I do accept that due to it's use it music and other popular culture people are going to drop a N bomb from time to time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wahooka said:

In theory I agree with his principles that I do not care about the use of language, and I wouldn't mind less serious punishment for people who blurt out say, as a curse when they are upset they are killed. HOWEVER my problem with people's racism stems from being black in game, and it feels REALLY bad when people hunt you down roleplaying as a bad person. For example as a being hunted down by people when you haven't even set up a base and they have full kits while they speak about white supremacy kind of grinds my gears, you know? I do feel that repeated hate preachers should be perma banned from the server.  I do accept that due to it's use it music and other popular culture people are going to drop a N bomb from time to time.

Yeah, we're definitely not trying to promote it. If we see repeat offenders that just can't control themselves, or the ones that are just spewing pure hate, we have no problem banning. Those are the types we want to get rid of. Not necessarily the ones that just let it slip here and there when talking to their friends. If that makes any sense.

imagine being hateful of any gender or race or sexuality in 2019.

now, the admins, those scumbags are the ones we should dislike.

One of the oddest things I found when playing many wipes in a row on moose servers was how people got banned for n-words but could call others the f-word over and over with no repercussions. Bit of a dbl standard IMO, but what do I know. Its your servers.

Yes well you only get a hour long mute now. Apparently they like to hear 500 kids screeching N bombs every freaking hour, on the hour.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:08 PM, Wahooka said:

Yes well you only get a hour long mute now. Apparently they like to hear 500 kids screeching N bombs every freaking hour, on the hour.

It's not on the hour because for some reason their dumb bot can't figure out how to unmute at the exact hour.

also I know how late I am to replying but I had to say this and i love you wahooka ;)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

YOU ARE VERY LATE INDEED. But now that you have awoken my attention to this topic, I feel that we should make racism, including dropping N bomb banning offence. So many kids are doing it repeatedly now we can clean up and ban them all quickly. I see EVERY hour a guy saying it in general chat when I play on the server, and they keep doing it because they consider the punishment to be a slap on the wrist that they will pay again and again. I would like to see escalating punishment so that we can permanently end such obvious abuse. Even if you just kicked them from the server while muting them it would reduce the problem, at least on servers that get a regular queue. As it stands it is hard to say that Moose has a zero tolerance for racism if you let kids screech racial slurs every hour on the hour if they should so choose to.

I'm okay with the word being used in some contexts, however I am sick of kids typing just this single word over and over again just to be edgy.

Lets make moose zero tolerance again, I am sick of tolerating racists in training. :wookiee_dance:

4 minutes ago, Wahooka said:

YOU ARE VERY LATE INDEED. But now that you have awoken my attention to this topic, I feel that we should make racism, including dropping N bomb banning offence. So many kids are doing it repeatedly now we can clean up and ban them all quickly. I see EVERY hour a guy saying it in general chat when I play on the server, and they keep doing it because they consider the punishment to be a slap on the wrist that they will pay again and again. I would like to see escalating punishment so that we can permanently end such obvious abuse. Even if you just kicked them from the server while muting them it would reduce the problem, at least on servers that get a regular queue. As it stands it is hard to say that Moose has a zero tolerance for racism if you let kids screech racial slurs every hour on the hour if they should so choose to.

I'm okay with the word being used in some contexts, however I am sick of kids typing just this single word over and over again just to be edgy.

Lets make moose zero tolerance again, I am sick of tolerating racists in training. :wookiee_dance:

While I completely agree with your statement that a zero tolerance policy is probably necessary, I don't think that holding the word to such high accountability and power is the best way of defeating racism. The more power we give the word, the more power we give true racists. And at the same time, this is not an issue that a medium sized Rust community can solve. I think the way the issue is being handled currently being handled is a good attempt. And the previous no tolerance policy was a better way of silencing the racists and or edgy retards who just want a reaction and personal views don't actually reflect their actions. I acknowledge that as the admins of this community in order to comply with societal norms they have to do this kind of thing. But, my opinion still stands, the less power we give to this word the less power that we give to racists and edgy retards.

Again this is an issue that is deeply rooted in our culture and cannot be solved by the admins of this community, only silenced.

They could solve it, I have faith. Although I shall concede you make a good argument. I don't actually give a fuck about the word to be honest, I just love to see people get banned :D

• Upvote 2