Sign in to follow this  
Jexs

Custom Maps...? We need your opinion!

Thoughts on Custom Maps?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in custom maps on Moose servers?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. I've attached screenshots of a custom map below. Would this be a map you'd be interested in playing on?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 4. It would kill our web server to have 1,000 players download a map at once each wipe. Would you be willing to download an open source program to download maps a few hours before wipe to help save our web server? This would allow you to load much faster than those that choose to not do this. It would also be 100% optional and not required to play.

• Yes
    • No

Hi everyone,

First things first, I encourage you to approach this concept with an open mind.

As the weeks and months go by, custom maps are starting to become more and more viable on larger servers such as Moose and we're hoping to be able to participate in this fun soon. We know there are a lot of misconceptions surrounding custom maps so I hope to clear some of those up in this post. I'll also briefly explain our current limitations and why we're a tad hesitant. 

When most people think of a custom map, they tend to think it's an extremely modified version of a map which basically makes the server feel modded, or they think that it's going to be some weird attempt at a recreation of Waterworld in Rust with small islands everywhere. That's not what we're going for. We want it to feel like a slightly modified ProcGen map with some cool things added in. Nothing over the top, but modified enough to be unique and different. 

One of the biggest issues we're facing with the concept of custom maps is how we're going to get them to the players. While we do have a fairly powerful web infrastructure, it cannot handle 1000+ players downloading a map at the same time. Obviously this number will vary, but the issue still stands. We can't let you all download a map that takes 15 mins to get. The easiest way to fix this issue is to use a CDN or a cloud hosting platform such as Amazon's S3. The only problem with this is that we have ~60k unique players a month. This means that these services would cost us an additional $130+/mo just for map hosting. That is ludicrous. So here are a few options:

1. Players just accept that they will download the map at a crawling speed and take 15 minutes to load in. 
  2. We release an open source map downloader that will allow players to download a map 6-12 hours before wipe so that they can load in much faster and skip the download process when joining. If enough players do this, then it would spread out the downloads and make it much easier on our web systems.
    1. The program would be open source. Meaning we'd have it hosted on a GitHub repository.
    2. No, it would not record your info or anything like that.
    3. No, you would not need it running while playing. It's just to download the map before the wipe happens allowing you to load in faster and allowing us to save money.
  3. Similar to #2, we release the map 6-12 hours early and allow players to manually download the map and move it into their Rust directory. This would be available regardless if #2 is a thing or not, it would just be more steps and more complicated.

There are a few other things that we're looking into, but we're discussing those internally and not quite ready to share them. The above are the most realistic options as of right now.

If you have any comments, concerns, or questions please feel free to reply here so we can discuss them. We're very curious to see how the community receives this as it's something we'd really like to see make it to our more popular servers (yes, I mean Main). It's important that I note that we're not 100% going through with anything. This is just a concept phase and we want to get a feeling of what people think.

I've attached a few screenshots to the post of what you can expect a custom map to look like. This one in particular was created by our very own @TyroneBiggnutz who spent countless hours making it. It's not easy making these maps and it requires a lot of tedious work.

As always, thank you for your continued support and we'll see you on the island!

map.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 20.00.08.19.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 19.55.52.97.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 19.58.25.99.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 20.01.39.41.png

• Like 3

I went ahead and read through this. I actually have been waiting to see a map that is split with a body of water. I think adding more water to the map is a good thing and will force players to be much more strategic. I would also like to see the map not a "waterworld" vibe but more of a Caribbean Island vibe or Hawaii where there are about 4-5 islands all habitable with enough Rescources on each to support players. Another idea would be to have the major monuments on their own island. I do like this idea as one main island does get boring after 2800 hours of rust. Even crossing hapis island sort of rock faces would be nice as well(ones u cant climb cuz they are too steep).

14 hours ago, Jexs said:

Hi everyone,

First things first, I encourage you to approach this concept with an open mind.

As the weeks and months go by, custom maps are starting to become more and more viable on larger servers such as Moose and we're hoping to be able to participate in this fun soon. We know there are a lot of misconceptions surrounding custom maps so I hope to clear some of those up in this post. I'll also briefly explain our current limitations and why we're a tad hesitant. 

When most people think of a custom map, they tend to think it's an extremely modified version of a map which basically makes the server feel modded, or they think that it's going to be some weird attempt at a recreation of Waterworld in Rust with small islands everywhere. That's not what we're going for. We want it to feel like a slightly modified ProcGen map with some cool things added in. Nothing over the top, but modified enough to be unique and different. 

One of the biggest issues we're facing with the concept of custom maps is how we're going to get them to the players. While we do have a fairly powerful web infrastructure, it cannot handle 1000+ players downloading a map at the same time. Obviously this number will vary, but the issue still stands. We can't let you all download a map that takes 15 mins to get. The easiest way to fix this issue is to use a CDN or a cloud hosting platform such as Amazon's S3. The only problem with this is that we have ~60k unique players a month. This means that these services would cost us an additional $130+/mo just for map hosting. That is ludicrous. So here are a few options:

1. Players just accept that they will download the map at a crawling speed and take 15 minutes to load in. 
  2. We release an open source map downloader that will allow players to download a map 6-12 hours before wipe so that they can load in much faster and skip the download process when joining. If enough players do this, then it would spread out the downloads and make it much easier on our web systems.
    1. The program would be open source. Meaning we'd have it hosted on a GitHub repository.
    2. No, it would not record your info or anything like that.
    3. No, you would not need it running while playing. It's just to download the map before the wipe happens allowing you to load in faster and allowing us to save money.
  3. Similar to #2, we release the map 6-12 hours early and allow players to manually download the map and move it into their Rust directory. This would be available regardless if #2 is a thing or not, it would just be more steps and more complicated.

There are a few other things that we're looking into, but we're discussing those internally and not quite ready to share them. The above are the most realistic options as of right now.

If you have any comments, concerns, or questions please feel free to reply here so we can discuss them. We're very curious to see how the community receives this as it's something we'd really like to see make it to our more popular servers (yes, I mean Main). It's important that I note that we're not 100% going through with anything. This is just a concept phase and we want to get a feeling of what people think.

I've attached a few screenshots to the post of what you can expect a custom map to look like. This one in particular was created by our very own @TyroneBiggnutz who spent countless hours making it. It's not easy making these maps and it requires a lot of tedious work.

As always, thank you for your continued support and we'll see you on the island!

map.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 20.00.08.19.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 19.55.52.97.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 19.58.25.99.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.09.25 - 20.01.39.41.png

God you are so handsome

4 hours ago, DUSTIN said:

I went ahead and read through this. I actually have been waiting to see a map that is split with a body of water. I think adding more water to the map is a good thing and will force players to be much more strategic. I would also like to see the map not a "waterworld" vibe but more of a Caribbean Island vibe or Hawaii where there are about 4-5 islands all habitable with enough Rescources on each to support players. Another idea would be to have the major monuments on their own island. I do like this idea as one main island does get boring after 2800 hours of rust. Even crossing hapis island sort of rock faces would be nice as well(ones u cant climb cuz they are too steep).

Yeah, I definitely agree. I think we all just want a change at this point. I think what you mentioned would be pretty neat. I can't wait to see what the community will make. Hopefully more maps will keep getting made soon.

2 hours ago, BuddyChrist said:

LOVE IT

:) Glad you like it.

2 hours ago, Wahooka said:

Where's my custom Caves?:wookiee_dance:

You'll just have to see. :cookedhumanmeat:

1 hour ago, Panduh said:

God you are so handsome

Love you too, bby.

4 hours ago, Wahooka said:

Where's my custom Caves?:wookiee_dance:

Yea and where’s is Stylez’s custom stash with 50 C4? This map sucks (PS: Jexs slide into my DM’s later to tell me)

I love the idea, I HATE that map.

First off, this map would kill roaming expect for the land mass that you are built on. I also think that the idea of having launch and tunnels right next to each other is a really bad idea and would just make one group snowball super super hard.

I feel just to piss off Robert you should make a archipelago map. Maybe make dinghy not consume fuel so people could get around easily but jack up the cost for fast boats. WHERE IS WAHOOKA'S WATER WORLD?!

Wait.... where is question number 3? FUCK JEXS YOU FAILED TO COUNT TO 4! :wookiee_dance: