Sign in to follow this  
DOOM

Potential Server expansion?

I just want to see if anyone else thinks it would be a good idea to up the pop on some servers by 25 or potentially open a Rusty Moose med 2 server in the future. With the new updates to Rust and the addition of the Steam summer sale theres been an influx in new players and with that comes a LOT longer que times which are now going 2 sometimes 3 days past wipe day. This is great for the state of the game we all love no doubt. Even though I have no clue what it takes money wise to run and maintain multiple servers, I do know there seems to be enough demand for it. The VIP system can only take you so far as those also sell out and even though that may be the most profitable there could be better gains in potentially opening a 2nd Moose Medium server or even increasing pop by even 25 player max on the current servers. Either option I would imagine could only be beneficial in the long run and knowing you guys have been around since legacy we all know your here for the long run. :D hope this is given serious consideration

THANKS

1) Two medium servers will have multiple variables. 

• One server fully popped and the other not
  • One server popped after 2 days and the other at half
  • People buying vip for the wrong medium server and refunding
  • People not needing to buy vip ruining revenue for one or both of the medium servers
  • People refunding their VIP because people are stupid (x2)

We can argue the point that both servers could potentially stay popped, but the chances of that are highly unlikely after a day or two and potentially would ruin the benefits of having a queue (a steady player stream to one dedicated server). I think it's a great idea for players who don't want to buy VIP or can't purchase VIP, because it gives them another server to play on, but realistically it's just not needed. Bad business is business that fails to realize that their model is already working and not knowing when to stop. 

2) Raising the pop by 25 is just a bad idea

• It won't really help the player population get ahead in the queue if anything it'll attract maybe even more players to join medium (because they'll think that the queue is less tedious)
  • Depending on how many vip slots are added from the 25 you're basically going to sit behind people regardless
  • Medium works, because it's 200 slots. As stated earlier why fix something that has worked perfectly for so long.

If Medium was still in testing phases it'd be a decent idea. However, Medium has been around for awhile and testing is over. The server works the way it should and it functions fine as a stand-alone. There's no reason for the Hershey company for example to create a second bar of chocolate called Hershey 2, because the original bars and their various sizes work just fine.

Now on to how your idea could be changed

A modded medium pop server. 
Everything is practically vanilla but adds benefits. Like auto lighting and other small plug-ins that don't necessarily make things easier, but assist in a small enough way to attract modded server players, but at the same time keeps vanilla players where they are.

Tl;dr 

Just buy VIP. It's not a good idea to change what's not broken or split it into two entities of the same thing.

Edited by chroner

On 6/28/2018 at 10:41 PM, DOOM said:

I just want to see if anyone else thinks it would be a good idea to up the pop on some servers by 25 or potentially open a Rusty Moose med 2 server in the future. With the new updates to Rust and the addition of the Steam summer sale theres been an influx in new players and with that comes a LOT longer que times which are now going 2 sometimes 3 days past wipe day. This is great for the state of the game we all love no doubt. Even though I have no clue what it takes money wise to run and maintain multiple servers, I do know there seems to be enough demand for it. The VIP system can only take you so far as those also sell out and even though that may be the most profitable there could be better gains in potentially opening a 2nd Moose Medium server or even increasing pop by even 25 player max on the current servers. Either option I would imagine could only be beneficial in the long run and knowing you guys have been around since legacy we all know your here for the long run. :D hope this is given serious consideration

It has definitely crossed our minds to expand some more, however, there are many things that go into opening a new server. The most notable being finding a server that is in demand and that we would be able to populate (preferably on the official tab in game). This automatically cuts out modded servers as the market for them is very saturated and our population is mostly vanilla based therefore most of them wouldn't be interested.

As Chroner pointed out with most of his points being valid, a second Medium really wouldn't be viable. While there could be a good turnout, it could also be a huge risk. We pride ourselves on being an organization and maintaining strong communication with our community, but we also have somewhat of a business mindset in the sense that we have to make money in order to keep all of our systems running and be able to maintain them. So for that reason, a second Medium would be a huge risk for us.

Another solution to expanding would be opening a server in another region. Europe of course jumps out as a very valid option, but there are other regions in the world that could be possibilities too such as Australia, South America, and Eastern Asia. Once we pick a location, then you are immediately dealing with new costs and new time zones which is another layer of responsibility and adaptation that our admin team has to make. Additionally, we are having to deal with a new host that we have never worked with before as our current host is for the most part US based.

I could honestly go on to write a novel, but I think I've hit on the big points that popped into my head. There are most definitely more smaller things that you have to take into consideration but I think anyone reading this will get the point. With all that being said, it is definitely something we want to do, but it is a big move financially and otherwise. We want to try our best to make the right decision before making any big changes.

11 hours ago, chroner said:

A modded medium pop server. 

Everything is practically vanilla but adds benefits. Like auto lighting and other small plug-ins that don't necessarily make things easier, but assist in a small enough way to attract modded server players, but at the same time keeps vanilla players where they are.

This is honestly the dream. However, we're not allowed to keep these servers on the official list. It's kind of one of those things where if we have it, why not use it? I personally would love to see Facepunch give the okay and let vanilla servers add things like auto-lighting and other QoL mods that don't necessarily change the game-play completely or don't give others a huge advantage in their chances at success. It would be such a nice change that really wouldn't hurt anything and would make the players in general happier.